When people hear the word “salad,” more often than not, everyone thinks of a Caesar salad. A Caesar salad is probably one of the most common and well-known salads across the globe. People also tend to order a Caesar salad over the rest of the salads on the menu at a restaurant because it is that famous.
However, by doing so, everyone misses out on the other various kinds of delicious, hearty and filling salads on offer. One of these happens to be the Kale and Roasted Cauliflower Salad.
A Kale and Roasted Cauliflower Salad consists of the scrumptious mixture of cauliflowers seasoned with some salt and pepper and kale mixed with some citrusy juices. Try out the simple recipe below to enjoy this delightful dish as a main course or a side salad.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
· 3-4 cups of cauliflower florets.
· 1 bunch of steamed kale (This should make about 5 cups).
· Some olive oil (The extra-virgin kind is the best).
· ¼ cup of hemp seeds (You could substitute these with some pine nuts or with some chopped and toasted almonds).
· Some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
· Some freshly squeezed orange juice.
· ¼ teaspoon of Dijon mustard.
· Some salt as per your taste.
· Some pepper as per your taste.
Some additional ingredients you can add to the recipe:
· Dried currants or some cranberries.
· Parmesan cheese (Shaved).
· Some crumbled feta cheese.
· A scoop of cashew cream or hummus.
· Chickpeas (You can use any other protein of your choice).
· Some roasted sweet potatoes (If you do use this option, make sure you roast these with your cauliflowers).
· First and foremost, preheat your oven to 350 °.
· Secondly, line a baking sheet with some parchment paper.
· Thirdly, transfer your 3-4 cups of cauliflower florets onto the baking sheet lined with the parchment (If you have chosen to add some sweet potatoes in this recipe, transfer these onto the baking sheet along with the cauliflower florets and follow through with the rest of the steps of roasting the cauliflower florets).
· Sprinkle some salt and pepper as per your taste on top of the cauliflower florets.
· Pour some olive oil on top of the cauliflower florets and toss the florets around to coat them properly.
· Now, spread the cauliflower florets on the baking sheet evenly. Roast these in the oven until they turn golden-brown in color. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
· While your cauliflower is being roasted, take the bunch of kale you have and tear these into smaller pieces.
· Transfer all the pieces of the kale into a large bowl.
· Sprinkle some salt and pepper as per your taste on top of the kale.
· Pour some olive oil on top of the kale.
· Massage the kale leaves with your hands. Do so until the kale becomes tender and has wilted to about half the amount it was in the beginning.
· Now, add some freshly squeezed juice of lemon, some freshly squeezed juice of an orange and the ¼ teaspoon of Dijon mustard onto the kale.
· Mix the ingredients together using your hands.
· Taste the mixture and check if it needs some adjusting. Add in some more freshly squeezed juice of orange if it tastes too bitter. If it tastes too bland, add in some more seasonings. The additions will depend on how bitter your kale is. It varies each time for everyone. If the mixture continues to taste too raw, let the flavors develop slowly by letting it sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
· Take the roasted cauliflower florets and toss those into the bowl containing the kale.
· Sprinkle on the ¼ cup of hemp seeds on top of the kale and roasted cauliflower.
· Now, add in some cracked pepper to the salad.
· If the kale continues tasting raw even after letting it sit for 20 minutes or so, add in some of the suggested additional ingredients to the salad. This will offset the amount of kale you have in your salad.
· If you have leftover kale salad, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for later consumption.
And the Kale and Roasted Cauliflower Salad is ready to be served! This recipe makes a serving of 2 if consumed as a main course. The best part of the recipe, apart from its deliciousness, is its flexibility. You can tweak the recipe around to increase the servings or add in your favorite toppings like nuts or cheese.