Being one of the classic and most iconic cocktails worldwide, a martini is one of the drink orders that depend on personal preference. Every person happens to prefer their martini in a different way than the next person. There are many choices to make when you get yourself a glass of martini. Do you want gin or vodka in your drink? Or, is it a stirred or shaken martini that you want? Do you want olives or lemon twists in your martini? Do you want ice shards in your drink, or do you want it double strained? Yes, there are countless choices and variations of making a martini.
Yet, regardless of all of these choices, there remains the classic recipe of the martini – the very one that made people fall in love with it in the first place. As there are a lot of options on how to make a martini, we suggest you start off trying out the classic martini first before trying to personalize the drink according to your preference. Here is a swift and easy recipe to make your very own classic martini effortlessly at the comfort of your home.
For this recipe, you will need:
· 2.5 ounces of gin (Vodka works as well, but most classic martinis are made with gin).
· (1/2) an ounce of dry vermouth. Make sure you use a quality bottle of vermouth that has been refrigerated after you opened it. Vermouth is a kind of wine and will oxidize after it is opened. Thus, it is essential to refrigerate it so that it does not lose its taste.
· Some lemons peel twists for garnishing.
· Some olives for garnishing.
· Some ice.
1. Preparing your martini glass
First and foremost, you must take your martini glass and put it in the freezer. This is an essential step as martini glasses need to be chilled before the martini is served in them.
2. Building the base of your drink
Now, this is where the recipe differs depending on whether you are going to stir your martini or shake it.
· For a stirred martini – Pour the 2.5 ounces of gin and (1/2) an ounce of dry vermouth into a mixing glass.
· For a shaken martini – Pour the 2.5 ounces of gin and (1/2) an ounce of dry vermouth into a cocktail shaker.
3. Stirring/Shaking your drink
Again this step differs based on whether your drink will be stirred or shaken.
· For a stirred martini – Add the ice cubes to the mixing glass and stir the drink until the martini is chilled. This should take about 30 seconds for you.
· For a shaken martini – Add the ice cubes into your cocktail shaker. Close the lid of the shaker, ensuring that it is tightly in place so that you do not accidentally end up spilling your drink. Now, shake the drink vigorously for about 10 seconds.
4. Straining your drink
Yet again, this step is determined by the type of martini you are having.
· For a stirred martini – After the drink has become chilled from the previous step, take out a clean Hawthorne strainer and retrieve your chilled martini glass from the freezer. Strain your martini from the mixing glass into the chilled glass using the Hawthorne strainer.
· For a shaken martini – Retrieve your chilled martini glass from the freezer. You have two choices in this step. If you want to have the shards of ice floating at the top of your cocktail, then just strain your drink into the martini glass you have retrieved. However, if you wish to remove the shards of ice from your drink, get a clean, fine-mesh strainer. Now, strain your drink into your glass through the strainer.
5. Garnishing your martini
Take a lemon peel and cut off its outer edges. Now, pinch the back of this lemon peel over your drink before rubbing it all around the rim of the chilled martini glass. Here, you have two alternatives. You can drop the lemon peel into the drink and have it like that. Or, you can throw the lemon peel away and drop some olives into the drink instead. This is, again, based on your preference.
Keep in mind that this recipe makes just one serving of the drink. So, if you wish to enjoy the classic martini with your family members or friends, just multiply the proportions of the ingredients depending on how many people you are making it for. Make it as much as you like, and enjoy this classic cocktail to the fullest.