Slow cookers have risen to be a holy grail in many households today. They have made cooking food easier to the point where you can just toss the ingredients for the meal into the cooker, put in the required settings for cooking the food and come back later to a fully cooked meal awaiting you.
It is an extremely helpful appliance for those who have busy work or school schedules and cannot afford to lose precious time to cook their meals using other appliances that need a watchful eye.
Since slow cookers use a low temperature, the nutrients in the food you are cooking do not break down, which therefore promotes healthy cooking. Thus, there are many slow cooker recipes you can try out while working through your busy schedule and ensuring you and your family are having healthy yet delicious meals.
Here is an easy White Chicken and Quinoa Chili recipe for you to try using your slow cooker. The results are so amazing that you will want to try it out again.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
· 1.5 pounds of chicken breasts.
· 2 cans of diced green chili (This should make about 4.5 ounces).
· 1 can of cannellini beans (This should make about 15 ounces).
· 4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth.
· 1 cup of uncooked quinoa.
· 1 cup of frozen corn.
· 2 large celery stalks.
· 4 cloves of garlic.
· 1 medium-sized onion.
· 1 jalapeno.
· 1 bay leaf.
· 1 tablespoon of cumin.
· 1.5 teaspoons of salt.
· ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
· ½ teaspoon of dried oregano.
· The juice of 1 lime (Make sure you freshly squeeze lime and use its juice every time you use this recipe).
· OPTIONAL: Some shredded cheese, cilantro and avocado for toppings.
· First and foremost, take out a cutting board and a sharp knife. Clean these properly with water.
· Secondly, take the 2 large celery stalks and chop these up. Set these aside after you are done chopping.
· Next up, take your medium-sized onion and chop it up. After that, take the jalapeno and deseed it before chopping it up.
· Take the 4 garlic cloves and mince these.
· After you are done with those steps, open the can of cannellini beans. Drain the beans and rinse them with fresh water.
· Then, take the 1.5 pounds of chicken breasts and carefully skin them.
· When you are done skinning the chicken, debone them slowly. Make sure you do not ruin the meat in the process.
· Now that you are preparing your ingredients for the recipe, you should take out a 6-quartz slow cooker and clean it with fresh water.
· Place the chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
· After placing the chicken into the cooker, one by one add in the diced green chili from the 2 cans, the 1 can of cannellini beans you have drained and rinsed, the 1 cup of uncooked quinoa and the 1 cup of frozen corn.
· Next up, add in the 2 large, chopped up celery stalks, the chopped up onion, the minced garlic, the deseeded and chopped up jalapeno and the bay leaf.
· Once you have added those ingredients into the cooker, put in the 1 tablespoon of cumin, the 1.5 teaspoons of salt, the ¼ teaspoon of pepper, the ½ teaspoon of dried oregano and the freshly squeezed out juice of 1 lime.
· Pour in the 4 cups of chicken broth over all the ingredients you have placed inside your slow cooker.
· Now, cover the slow cooker. Now, cover the slow cooker. You can either place it on high (for around 3-4 hours) or on low (for 6-8 hours).
· Once the time is up, transfer the chicken onto a plate.
· Use two forks to shred the chicken up and add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
· If needed, sprinkle in some additional salt and seasonings as per your taste.
· Finally, use a ladle to spoon the cooked food into bowls. You can top the food off with some shredded cheese, cilantro, avocado or any other toppings of your choice.
The White Chicken and Quinoa Chili are ready to be served. This recipe yields 6 servings. You can tweak the recipe around depending on how many people you are serving the dish to. Enjoy the meal!